Mix 102.3
Adelaide's Widest Variety of Music

Now Playing:

Listen on

Chris Dawson Charged With Murder Of Lynette Dawson

The husband of Sydney mother Lynette Dawson, who disappeared almost 40 years ago, has been charged with her murder.

Chris Dawson, a one-time rugby league player, arrived in Sydney on Thursday morning after being extradited from Queensland.

He touched down about 9.30am on a Qantas flight from the Gold Coast, where he had spent the night in a watch-house.

Dressed in a t-shirt, shorts and thongs, the 70-year-old was led off the plane by detectives and driven from the tarmac straight to Sydney Police Centre in Surry Hills, where he was charged.

He was refused bail to appear at Central Local Court on Thursday afternoon.

Fresh statements from at least two witnesses led to Dawson's arrest on the Gold Coast on Wednesday following the disappearance of his wife.

The new evidence helped police "tie pieces of the puzzle together", NSW Police Commissioner Mick Fuller said.

Some of the additional material surfaced as a result of The Australian newspaper's investigative podcast, The Teacher's Pet.

Ms Dawson was 33 when she went missing in January 1982 leaving behind two young daughters.

Detectives from the NSW homicide squad began reinvestigating her suspected murder in 2015 and sent a brief of evidence to the Director of Public Prosecutions in April this year.

Chris Dawson, a Newtown rugby league player in the early 1970s, has long been a suspect in the case but denies any involvement in his wife's disappearance.

Despite the fact Ms Dawson's body has not been found, investigators are confident of the strength of their case.

"There are other examples in policing history, and history of the courts, where people have been convicted of murder without a body," NSW Detective Superintendent Scott Cook told reporters on Wednesday.

Ms Dawson's relatives expressed relief following the arrest, while Chris Dawson's family said they had no doubt he would be found innocent.

Detectives in September dug up the backyard at the Bayview home the couple shared in the early 1980s but did not find her remains or items of interest.

Mr Fuller declared "we certainly won't give up on that search" for Ms Dawson's remains.


More: Chris Dawson Claims His Wife Lynette Dawson Is Alive After 'Seeing' Her On Antiques Roadshow

Share this: