Salty Snags Raise Concerns For Aussie BBQs
BBQ-loving Australians have been warned a sausage sandwich with tomato sauce contains nearly half the recommended daily salt intake.
While bacon and sliced meats reduced their salt content, there was no change to the salt content of sausages during that seven-year period.
On average just one sausage contains more than one-quarter (28
The analysis also revealed huge variation in salt content, with some snags three times saltier than others.
Coles thin pork BBQ sausages were the saltiest, containing 2.9 grams of salt per 100g of sausages, according to the research.
The sausages containing the least salt were Cleaver's Organic Beef Sausages (0.95g of salt per 100g).
The researchers warned that when eating a sausage with
Its recommended adults eat less than five grams of salt per day, with excess salt consumption directly linked to high blood pressure - a key risk factor for heart attack and stroke.
Heart Foundation Victoria Dietitian Sian Armstrong says the drop in salt in bacon and sliced meat products proves manufacturers can make their meats less salty.
"It's a massive concern that in almost a decade there's been no change to the salt levels in sausages,"
"The average Aussie eats 44 sausages a year
Public health experts have called for national targets to be established to drive manufacturers to reformulate their processed sausages to make them less salty.
"We know that setting salt targets and regular monitoring of the food industry towards achieving the targets works. Currently, there are no salt targets for sausages - which is of huge concern, given how much salt they contain, and their popularity," the report's lead author Clare Farrand, a nutritionist at the George Institute said.
VicHealth CEO Jerril Rechter also reminded consumers to be more mindful of salt content the next time they reach for the snags in the supermarket aisle.
"We understand that sausages can be a quick BBQ option, but next time why not try filling the hot plate with other healthier options like chicken or veggie skewers,"
TOP FIVE SALTIEST SAUSAGES
1. Coles Thin Pork BBQ Sausages - 2.9 grams of salt per 100g
2. Coles Australian Beef Thin BBQ Sausages - 2.4g/100g
3. Brannan's Butchery Classic Aussie Beef Sausages (Aldi) - 2.4g/100g
4. Coles Sow Stall Free Australian Pork Chipolatas - 2.4g/100g
5. Coles Australian Beef Thick BBQ Sausages - 2.3g/100g
TOP FIVE LEAST SALTIEST SAUSAGES
1. Cleaver's Organic Beef Sausages ( Arcadian Organic and Natural Meat Co) - 0.95g/100g
2. Beak & Sons Classics Tuscan Pork Gourmet Pork Sausages - 1.0g/100g
3. K-roo Kanga Bangas (Macro Meats) - 1.0g/100g
4. Woolworths Lamb Sausages Mint & Rosemary - 1.0g/100g
5. Woolworths Chicken Sausages Chives, Thyme & Rosemary - 1.0g/100g
(Source: The George Institute for Global Health, VicHealth