Mix 102.3
Adelaide's Widest Variety of Music

Now Playing:

Loading...
Listen on

Man Who Killed Son Wants Night Release

A Perth man detained indefinitely for killing his three-year-old son and dumping the body down a mine shaft in outback South Australia wants overnight release.

Aliya Zilic was found not guilty because of mental incompetence of the murder of his son Imran Zilic in April, 2008 and has been held under mental health supervision.

In 2017 the South Australian Supreme Court allowed Zilic to go on day trips under the supervision of two corrections officers and on Tuesday his lawyers asked Justice Greg Parker to consider releasing him into the community for overnight stays.

undefined

Imran Zilic

Prosecutor Lucy Boord said the uncles of the victim would object to the proposal, and the matter was adjourned until later this month.

Zilic was detained in 2010 after Justice Margaret Nyland ruled that he was suffering mental impairment at the time he cut his son's throat.

The Supreme Court previously heard he had taken the boy from Perth and had embarked on a "bizarre odyssey" through Australia's outback.

Zilic's psychosis "obliterated any sense of what he had done and what he was doing", his lawyer Bronwen Waldron said.

After the killing he returned to a Coober Pedy dugout where he had been staying with his son.

He then drove throughout the Northern Territory and into Western Australia, and when arrested by police, denied involvement in the murder because he believed them to be the devil.

AAP

Share this: