Mix 102.3
Adelaide's Widest Variety of Music

Now Playing:

Loading...
Listen on

Charges Dropped Over Adelaide Show Death

Charges have been dropped by SafeWork SA against an inspection company in connection with the death of a young girl on a ride at the Royal Adelaide Show.

Health and safety charges had been laid against Safe is Safe in connection with the death of Adelene Leong, who was fatally thrown from the Airmaxx 360 ride in 2014, but were dropped on Wednesday.

"This decision was made after new information came to light, which meant there was no longer a reasonable prospect of conviction," SafeWork SA said in a statement.

The matter has now been referred to South Australia's Independent Commissioner Against Corruption, Bruce Lander, who will look into the SafeWork investigation and the evidence obtained.

"Ordinarily I would not confirm or deny whether a complaint or report had been made to the Office for Public Integrity or whether a particular investigation was underway," he said in a statement.

"However, having regard to the public interest in the prosecution arising out of the SafeWork SA investigation, and the fact that the prosecution was withdrawn this morning, I felt that it was in the public interest to confirm that an investigation into the matter is underway."

In 2017, SafeWork SA successfully prosecuted the operators of the ride, C J And Sons Amusement, and one of its directors, Jenny-Lee Sullivan.

The amusement company was notionally fined $94,500 and Ms Sullivan $63,000, but an Employment Tribunal Magistrate did not make an order which would force them to pay because of their precarious financial position.

The court found a serious design fault and day-to-day failings with the operation of the ride contributed to the death of Adelene, who was flung more than 10 metres from the ride as her mother watched on.

- AAP

Share this: