• Because Of You
  • Listen on
Adelaide's Widest Variety of Music

Mix 102.3

  • now playing:
    Because Of You
    Kelly Clarkson
  • Listen on

Parents Devastated By Mix-Up That Left Baby Brain Damaged

The parents of the baby who was brain damaged in the Bankstown-Lidcombe Hospital gas mixup have spoken out for the first time, saying they'll always be there for her.

Danial and Benish Khan say they were devastated when their daughter Amelia suffered irreversible brain damage when she was given nitrous oxide instead of oxygen after her birth in June.

"She will always have to live with the consequences of what was done to her at the hospital. But we will always be by her side and we'll do everything we can to give her the best possible future," they told the Sydney Morning Herald.

Another baby, John Ghanem, died in July when he was also given the wrong gas.

"We can only imagine the intense pain this family is going through and our hearts go out to them," the Khans said.

A report found "a series of tragic errors" including incorrect installations of gas pipelines, flawed testings and significant clinical and management failures caused the deadly error.

Amelia suffers frequent seizures, and will require intensive long-term care.

Law firm Maurice Blackburn is investigating a claim of compensation on behalf of Mr and Mrs Khan.

NSW Health Minister Jillian Skinner has faced torrid questioning over her handling of the gas scandal since it emerged in July.

Last week it was revealed another mix up at the Royal North Shore Hospital led to the wrong baby being cremated in late 2015.

The bodies of two babies were confused after one family requested a burial and the other a cremation. 

AAP/Staff Writers

Share this: