SA Beach Ban To Be Permanent Over Drowning
The South Australian government will work quickly to impose a permanent ban on swimming at a dangerous section of an Adelaide beach following the death of an Indian teenager, the third drowning in the area in less than two years.
The Holdfast Bay Council has imposed an interim ban on swimming at the breakwater at the northern end of Glenelg beach with the government drafting regulations to make the ban permanent.
Infrastructure Minister Stephen Mullighan says the new regulations, which will not prevent access to safe areas of the beach, will be ready as soon as possible.
The action comes after 15-year-old Indian student Nitisha Negi drowned on Sunday with her body found on Monday after an extensive search.
She was with four other Indian girls at Holdfast Marina when they all got into trouble.
The other four were rescued by surf
Mr Mullighan said the government was working with the council, the surf lifesaving club, and the public to try and prevent such a tragedy occurring again.
"We are also working with all stakeholders to make sure we are appropriately monitoring the area and educating the public about the dangers posed by the breakwaters," he said.
Two boys drowned at the same spot on New Year's Day last year and another boy died there in 2007.