The Cost Of Brisbane’s Rail Fail Will Have You Fuming
Thought the cancelled trains, reduced services and crammed carriages were frustrating?
Wait till you find out how much the Queensland Rail fail cost us.
Taxpayers have picked up the bill of more than $17 million to try and address the problems that have been making headlines.
According to the Courier Mail, the figure includes:
- $14.4 million to replace cancelled trains and missing drivers following the timetable disaster that resulted from crew shortages
- $4.2 million on replacement buses and taxis for stranded passengers
- $10.2 million for train driver overtime since October (without overtime, wages would have been $5.68 million)
- $2.5 million on a commission tasked with investigating how to fix the problems
- $160,000 severance payment for former CEO Helen Gluer
The Government released the figures telling the paper they now had a “blueprint for reform”.