Boy Accidentally Suffocated By Teacher While Hiding
The unbelievably gut-wrenching series of events that led to the accidental suffocation of a one-year-old baby boy at his day care centre have been revealed.
According to police, Leo Sanchez - who was only days away from his second birthday - became trapped under a bean bag at the West Jordan Child Centre in the US state of Utah; a worker at the facility then sat on the bean bag with other children to read them a story.
Sadly, attempts to resuscitate Leo failed, and he was later pronounced dead at Salt Lake City's Primary Children's Hospital.
In an emotional interview with KSTU-TV, the tot's mother Danielle Sanchez, slammed the childcare centre, asking why it took the centre's employees 15 minutes to notice the boy was missing.
"In my mind, my child is under your care. He suffocated under a bean bag," she said through tears.
"How does a two-year-old, not even two yet, how does he get stuck under a bean bag?
"Something happened. I don't know what.
"It just baffles me, makes me wonder.
"She must not have felt him, she must not have heard him."
The Sanchez family also revealed to Fox 13 that Leo's funeral would be held on September 17 - the boy's second birthday.
West Jordan Child Centre have since issued a statement, saying: "We regret deeply the tragic death of a young toddler at our day care facility. No words adequately describe the depth of the sorrow we feel."
Our thoughts are with the Sanchez family during this incredibly difficult time.