• Adelaide's Widest Variety of Music
  • Listen on
Adelaide's Widest Variety of Music

Mix 102.3

  • now playing:
    Adelaide's Widest Variety of..
    Mix 102.3
  • Listen on
MENU

You'll Never Believe What This Dad Found In His Ice Cream

A Perth dad has made an absolutely shocking discovery when he was serving out a helping of supermarket ice cream to his five year-old son.
The father, who wanted to remain anonymous, purchased a tub of Coles brand vanilla ice cream on the 11th of November, and when he went to share some with his son noticed something out of the usual.

He spoke with Perth newspaper WA Today.

"[I noticed] the substance about five minutes into my son eating it, when he told me there was 'glass' in his ice-cream," he said.

"My first reaction was shock and then I examined the shard, and realised it didn't quite have the structure of most glass, so I firmly pressed it between my fingers and a little piece broke off.

"I then licked the little piece, as I thought it could just be crystallised sugar, or some other food additive not mixed properly, but I was shocked [to find it had] a very chemical taste," he said.

"I cannot be 100 per cent certain what the substance was, as I didn't have the tools to properly test it."

The man told WA Today that he was a three-year clean recovered drug addict, and said he ""knew what meth tastes like".



"It has a very similar taste and structure as methamphetamine so I am led to think that's what it is," he said.

He went on to say that he was not 100% sure, and could definitely be mistaken. but that he hoped the ice cream's manufacture would follow up this issue urgently.

He did not blame the supermarket for the incident, but focused his attention to the manufacturer.

"The manufacturing company are the ones who will need to investigate this further to find out how it happened... all I hope is the manufacturer take this information and do the best they can to ensure there isn't a repeat of this and any other possible products that could hold contaminants are removed from sale."

The man took advise from health professionals and monitored his son closely for five hours after he had eaten the ice cream.

He issued the following warning to other potential buyers of the ice cream.

"Don't eat it or feed it to anyone, leave it in your freezer for now until this can be sorted with Coles and the manufacturer."

"Don't panic or make a huge fuss about it as hype doesn't help the situation- and I'm sure Coles and the manufacturer will get on top of this as soon as possible," he said.

Share this: