This will come as a surprise to nobody whatsoever, but South Australian wineries have dominated the list of finalists in the search for Australia’s best vineyard.
The inaugural Vineyard of the Year is a national search for the country’s best vineyards, with the top 50 finalists named.
Vineyards are rated on fruit and wine quality, vine health, innovation and sustainability.
Judges have whittled down a list of over 6,000 vineyards across the country down to 50 finalists.
Perhaps unsurprisingly, 22 out of the 50 finalists are based right here in South Australia.
The next closest state was Victoria with 15 wineries.
The full list of South Australian wineries that made list is:
- Adelina, Clare Valley
- Angove Warboys Vineyard, McLaren Vale
- Bowyer Ridge, Adelaide Hills
- Cirillo Estate, Barossa Valley
- Dallwitz Block, Barossa Valley
- Eden Hall, Eden Valley
- Garden & Field, Eden Valley
- Gemtree, McLaren Vale
- Hayes Family – Stone Well, Barossa Valley
- Torbreck – Hillside Vineyard, Barossa Valley
- Hither & Yon – Sand Road, McLaren Vale
- Koonara – Ambriel’s Gift, Coonawarra
- Mickan Block, Barossa Valley
- Oxford Landing, Riverland
- Penley Estate, Coonawarra
- Rayner Vineyard, McLaren Vale
- Ricca Terra, Riverland
- Shaw + Smith – Lenswood, Lenswood
- Smallfry, Barossa Valley
- Smart Vineyard, McLaren Vale
- Wirra Wirra, McLaren Vale
- Yangarra Estate, McLaren Vale