Couples have rushed to circumvent a statewide ban on weddings that came into effect as part of South Australia’s sweeping six-day lockdowns at midnight on Wednesday night.
With authorities announcing sweeping restrictions with less than 12 hours’ notice, couples have held snap ceremonies to avoid the ban.
The Advertiser reports that at least four couples who had been planning on getting married this weekend held weddings on Wednesday afternoon to avoid the ban.
The wedding ban was among a long list of restrictions introduced in a press conference on Wednesday afternoon.
As of midnight on Wednesday night funerals were also banned, along with end-of-life visits, unless otherwise approved.
President of the Australian Funeral Directors Association Andrew Pinder told The Advertiser that the complete ban on funerals was “unconscionable.”
“We are calling on the South Australian Government to show compassion to its people and follow the examples set in other states, including Victoria,” Mr Pinder told The Advertiser.