South Australia’s much-publicised “circuit breaker” lockdown will come to an end early after health authorities discovered that a person had been lying to contact tracers.
Police Commissioner Grant Stevens confirmed in a press conference on Friday morning that a person had claimed to be a customer of the Woodville Pizza Bar when they had, in fact, been working there.
Premier Steven Marshall said that he was “fuming” after one of the close contacts “deliberately misled” contact tracers, bringing into effect the harshest lockdown in Australia since the beginning of the pandemic.
As a result, SA’s widespread restrictions will lift in two stages, beginning Friday.
- Exercise individually or in family groups is once again permitted, effective immediately.
- The ban on dog-walking has also been lifted, effective immediately.
Other restrictions to be lifted as of 12:01 on Sunday 22 November include:
- Stay-at-home order to be lifted across state
- 1 person per 4 square metre rule to apply
- 50 people once again allowed at funerals
- 10 people permitted at home gatherings
- Schools to reopen from Monday morning
- Hospitality venues allowed to reopen with a maximum capacity of 100 people and a maximum of 10 people per booking
- Weddings once again permitted, with a maximum 150 attendees and a ban on dancing or standing consumption of alcohol
- Beauty parlours, hairdresssers, barbers, etc permitted to reopen, but employees to wear masks where physical-distancing is not possible
- Gyms to be allowed to reopen
- Religious ceremonies to be allowed to go ahead
- A maximum of 50 people permitted at private events
- A maximum gathering of 10 people at private premises
While mask-wearing is not compulsory in South Australia, it is still being strongly encouraged by health authorities.
It is understood that contact tracers initially were told that a hotel quarantine worker had reported catching the virus after ordering food from Woodville Pizza Bar.
It is now known that they were working at the pizza bar in close contact with the original case at the centre of the cluster who was also working at a different quarantine hotel.
The information provided to SA Health’s contact tracers had led authorities to believe that a new strain of the virus that could be easily transferred on surfaces was in the Adelaide community.
SA’s restrictions, once eased, will go back to those in place prior to this week.