Queensland will reopen its border to people travelling from Adelaide from 1:00am this Saturday.

The state declared Adelaide a coronavirus hotspot three weeks ago when news of a new cluster of COVID-19 cases first emerged.

The so-called Parafield cluster later ballooned to 33 cases, however, health contact tracers have been able to track the virus’s transmission along the way.

Queensland’s Chief Health Officer Jeannette Young announced the decision to lift the sunshine state’s border restrictions, providing that there are no further cases linked to the cluster before Saturday.

“South Australia has not seen any cases in the last week and they’ve now had a total of 33 cases related to that Parafield cluster,” Dr Young told reporters on Monday, going on to commend SA on its work containing the virus’s spread.

“I’m very confident about the large amount of testing they’ve done and the large numbers of people they’ve placed into quarantine.”

On Saturday, 28 days will have passed since the first case of the Parafield cluster was noted by South Australian health authorities.

Advertisement
Advertisement

Meanwhile, WA Premier Mark McGowan also announced that he would be opening up his state to South Australians, but arrivals will still be forced to isolate for two weeks upon arrival.

“After extensive testing and quarantining of contacts, South Australia now has a 14-day rolling average of less than one case,” Mr McGown told reporters on Monday.

“As a result, effective from midnight on Thursday night … South Australia will move to the low-risk category.”

Want more? Listen to one of our favourite moments from Erin Phillips & Soda – Tune in weekdays from 6AM on Mix102.3!