Tasmania will drop border restrictions with South Australia this week, meaning the island state will be fully open for the first time since March.
Premier Peter Gutwein announced SA arrivals would no longer have to quarantine from 12.01am on Thursday.
“This is a significant milestone,” he told state parliament on Tuesday.
“It will mean for the first time in nine months, Tasmania’s borders will be relaxed with all states and territories, as well as New Zealand.”
Mr Gutwein said SA will be classified as low-risk, except for people who’ve been to certain premises or locations.
He said further information would be provided on Tuesday.
Tasmania closed its border to SA in mid-November amid a COVID-19 outbreak in Adelaide.
The island state reopened to Victoria last week for the first time since March.
Meanwhile, the state government is expected to release an independent report into the deadly northwest outbreak next week.
The cluster that sparked in early April was responsible for more than half of the island’s 228 cases and 11 of its 13 deaths.
A health department interim report determined the outbreak most likely spread from Ruby Princess cruise ship passengers returning from the mainland.
The government received the independent report on Monday and is “considering the findings”.
The northwest outbreak forced the region’s major public hospital to close for a deep clean, placing some 500 staff and their families into quarantine.
Tasmania’s last coronavirus case was more than 110 days ago.