South Australians who had been planning to head north to Queensland will have to wait to find out when they might be allowed over the border.
Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk revealed on Tuesday that restrictions on travelling to the sunshine state from Victoria and New South Wales would be eased from December 1.
The announcement coincides with news that Victoria is now officially COVID-free after the last remaining person in hospital with the disease was discharged on Monday.
However, Queensland are taking a wait-and-see approach to South Australia, who has endured a rollercoaster couple of weeks through the emergence of the Parafield cluster and the implementation and lifting of the nation’s toughest lockdowns.
Despite the move to reopen to NSW and Victoria, a decision on SA would not be made until the end of the month.
The state has previously pointed to its benchmark of 28 days without a case of community transmission before it would reopen borders, however, Friday’s revelations that a pizza bar worker lied to contact tracers meant that cases previously thought to be community transmission were no longer classified as such.
Queensland’s chief health officer Dr Jeannette Young told reporters on Tuesday that we would “just need to wait for a little bit longer before we can decide what needs to happen.”
“All of their cases today have been linked, they’ve been able to trace them back to that breach in the hotel quarantine process so that that’s very good news,” Dr Young said.