The coronavirus infection in a Sydney taxi driver may block a move by South Australia to lift border restrictions with NSW.
South Australia’s transition committee will meet on Tuesday to once again consider lifting the 14-day quarantine requirement for people coming to SA.
Premier Steven Marshall has expressed concern about the case and says local health officials have sought details from NSW.
The premier was upbeat last week about lifting the border restrictions but was reluctant on Monday to speculate on any decision.
He said it could now be delayed until Friday or even later.
“We’re not going to rush it. We’ve got to make sure we don’t have a second wave here in South Australia,” he said.
“We don’t make political decisions. We don’t make ideological decisions.
“We make decisions here in our state based upon the expert health advice.”
NSW Health is still urgently attempting to contact anyone who took trips with a Silver Service taxi driver who tested positive on Saturday and worked in Sydney’s west and southwest.
Anyone who rode in his taxi between September 8 and 18 should monitor for symptoms, isolate for 14 days and get tested for coronavirus.
Officials have used a variety of mechanisms to identify a large number of people who rode with the driver.
SA has not reported a new coronavirus case for 10 days, with no new infections on Monday.
The state has no active infections.
Start your day right with the top 5 things you need to know today: