An emergency warning has been issued for a bushfire burning out of control in South Australia’s southeast with authorities warning it poses a risk to lives in the area.

The Country Fire Service says the grass fire at Blackford is burning towards the town of Lucindale.

Locals in the emergency zone have been advised to leave if it is safe to do so.

The Lucindale Council said the town hall would be open for anyone enacting their bushfire safety plan to take shelter.

A watch and act warning is currently in place for the town.

“If you cannot leave, identify where you will seek shelter from the bushfire. Heat from the fire will kill you,” the CFS said.

The blaze comes amid dangerous conditions across much of SA on Monday, with very high temperatures and rising winds.


Fire crews are on standby across the state with command centres established and water-bombing aircraft prepared.

Country Fire Service duty commander Brenton Hastie said the underlying dryness across SA meant fires could become dangerous very quickly.

“We had a later start to the season but we’re now into January and the fuel is completely cured which means fires can burn to their maximum,” he said.

“An extreme fire danger rating does mean that a fire has the potential to absolutely threaten lives and homes.”

By early afternoon Adelaide had climbed past its forecast top temperature of 37C with a high of 38.3C, while in regional centres the mercury soared into the low 40s.

Winds were also rising ahead of a cooler change expected to push through later in the day.


Temperatures will be milder for the rest of the week.

Meanwhile, a teenager has been charged with starting a bushfire in Adelaide’s south.

On Sunday night fire crews responded quickly to a small grass fire on the grounds of Flinders University where security spotted two people fleeing the scene.

Police searched the area and found a set of house keys which led them to a nearby property where they arrested a 17-year-old.

He was charged with causing a bushfire and was refused police bail to appear in Christies Beach Youth Court on Monday.

Investigations into the identity of the second suspect continue.