A man who, SA health authorities say breached quarantine to visit several shops around Adelaide, thought that he was clear to be leaving the house.

On Sunday, the state’s Chief Public Health Officer Dr Nicola Spurrier revealed that a man had visited several locations around Adelaide, from Norwood to Glenelg, when he was supposed to be in home quarantine.

The man, in his 30s, visited seven locations on Sunday 22 November for time periods ranging from 10 to 45 minutes. He had been told to quarantine after being identified as a casual contact of a confirmed case, a student at the Intensive English Learning Institute at Flinders University’s Sturt Campus.

While the man had returned a negative test on day one of his 14-day quarantine, a secondary test on day 12 revealed that he had since become positive for the virus.

However, health authorities have defended the actions of the man, saying that he thought he was “doing the right thing”.

The state’s Deputy Chief Public Health Officer Emily Kirkpatrick told the ABC that the man has been moved to a medi-hotel since returning his positive test result.

Want more? Listen to one of our favourite moments from Erin Phillips & Soda – Tune in weekdays from 6AM on Mix102.3!