NEVER get in the way of Supercar fans and their races because they are not ones to back down quietly. I mean, have you heard how loud these cars are!?
Hundreds gathered on Sunday to rally for the return of Adelaide 500. In late October last year it was announced that the Adelaide 500 was not returning due to rising costs, lack of crowds, declining commercial interest and the pandemic.
The Advertiser reported that the 2020 event generated $38 million in economic benefit, compared to $45.9 million in 2019.
Supercar fans alongside Ford Supercar driver Tim Slade and Holden’s Nick Percat congregated outside Café De Vili’s at Mile End to protest the State Government’s decision to cancel the race.
Ian Barlow, the event organiser said the Adelaide 500 was “built into South Australia’s DNA”.
“You’ve ripped a major artery out of SA and for what? Just give the people what they want,” he said.
Opposition Leader Peter Malinauskas joined the passionate crowd and highlighted that Labor would bring back the race if it won the March 2022 State Election.
“It was making us money, it was creating jobs in this state and it was the source of an enormous amount of passion,” he said.
However, Transport Minister Corey Wingard reiterated the race would not be returning, “We’ve made this very clear … that we’re investing that money into other events.”
“We do have V8 racing up at Tailem Bend and other motorsport as well in South Australia. I’m more than happy to look at what opportunities lie there.”