A 22-year-old passenger has gone missing aboard a Melbourne-bound cruise ship.
Princess Cruises state that the man was reported missing on the 13-night Golden Princess cruise ship on Monday night and that initial public address announcements and a full search on board failed to find him.
“The ship is currently on a 13-night cruise to New Zealand and is scheduled to complete the round-trip cruise in Melbourne tomorrow,” the company said in a statement, adding the Australian Maritime Safety Authority’s Joint Rescue Coordination Centre in Canberra was notified.
Upon deeper inspection of CCTV footage, it became clear that the missing passenger went overboard.
The Australian Maritime Safety Authority’s Joint Rescue Coordination Centre in Canberra was immediately notified following the discovery of the footage.
“In spite of the comprehensive search, the guest could not be located,” a company spokesman said.
“CCTV footage has been reviewed and it sadly reveals that the guest has intentionally gone overboard from the ship.
“Given the time that has elapsed since he was last seen onboard by other guests, with the deepest regret, and in consultation with the Joint Rescue Coordination Centre, we have accepted the expert view that there is unfortunately no likelihood of survival.”
The spokesman said the guest’s family had been notified and the company was offering support.
“Guests on Golden Princess have been asked to keep the missing guest and his family and friends in their thoughts and prayers.”
The ship is due to complete the round-trip cruise around New Zealand in Melbourne on Wednesday.
Lifeline 13 11 14
beyondblue 1300 22 4636