Look, I grew up in a distinctly lower-middle class family and I can attest with confidence that there were ABSOLUTELY things that indicated how ‘well off’ other families and kids were…
I’ve devised a bit of a list, and I’m pretty confident you’ll agree with me when I say these are CLEAR INDICATORS of wealth in this country.
Here are the signs you were ‘well off’ growing up in Australia;
- The Foxtel or Austar dish was viewable from the street.
- ‘Going on holiday’ meant a plane boarding ticket.
- Rugs were in places other than the loungeroom.
- The fridge had an ice and water dispenser.
- Limits on snacks & soft drink didn’t exist.
- Your food had actual brand names.
- Ordering lunch at the canteen practically every day.
- Eating at a fancy restaurant (any place other than Maccas) without a special occasion to justify it.
- A trampoline was in the backyard.
- A PlayStation was hooked up to the Plasma TV.
Other ‘low-key’ signs you were rich growing up;
- You shopped exclusively at Myer or David Jones.
- You got takeout delivered instead of picking it up.
- You got picked up from school on a daily basis.
- Your furniture matched.
- You bought lunch at the fair or show instead of bringing your own.
- You flew exclusively with Qantas.
- You bought popcorn and snacks at the movies.
- You could do more than one extracurricular activity.
What do you think? Are these pretty accurate?